Re: per BDI dirty limit (was Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.24)

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 21:19:49 EST

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 22:04 +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> This crashes and burns on bootup, but I'm too tired to figure out what I
> did wrong... will give it another try tomorrow..

Ok, can't sleep.. took a look. I have several problems here.

The thing that makes it go *boom* is the __ATTR_NULL. Removing that
makes it boot. Albeit it then warns me of multiple duplicate sysfs
objects, all named "bdi".

For some obscure reason this device interface insists on using the
bus_id as name (?!), and further reduces usability by limiting that to
20 odd characters.

This makes it quite useless. I tried fudging around that limit by using
device_rename and kobject_rename, but to no avail.

Really, it should not be this hard to use, trying to expose a handfull
of simple integers to userspace should not take 8h+ and still not work.

Peter, who thinks sysfs is contorted mess beyond his skill. I'll stick
to VM and scheduler code, that actually makes sense.