RE: Linux Security *Module* Framework (Was: LSM conversion to static interface)

From: Hua Zhong
Date: Sun Oct 28 2007 - 15:07:26 EST

I think you may be misinterpreting the word "poor" here.

Many people in this thread consider a security solution "poor" because it's
not "complete" or "perfect": it may work against attack ABC but not attack
XYZ. The defendants say that XYZ isn't possible in the environment that it's
supposed to be used, or XYZ may be too expensive to be worth implementing,
or they just are rare enough to be ignored. Heck, all security solutions
could be broke given physical access.

Implementing a security solution has a cost. Bypassing it also has a cost.
Sometimes it's economy, not technique, decides whether a particular security
solution is a good one.

Locks are a good example for this. It has a low cost/effect ratio, and very
easy to use. Is it 100% safe? Definitely not. People lock their bikes to a
tree when they enter a supermarket because it's reasonably safe. But leaving
their bikes like that over a few nights on a downtown street? Probably not a
good idea. Don't assume all people are idiots who do not know that (ok, some
people are, so the lock's manual states "it can be bypassed by a skilled
thief").

But what tapes are good for? I don't know what kind of value it adds to the
discussion.