Re: [RFC] AGP initial support for chipset flushing..

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Mon Oct 29 2007 - 15:50:29 EST

On Monday, October 29, 2007 1:15 am Dave Airlie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've uncovered a need when using the new memory manager to flush the
> chipset global write buffers on certain intel chipset due to a lack
> of coherency..
>
> The attached patches add a new AGP interface for this purpose and
> implements this in the Intel AGP driver. This stuff is based of some
> guesswork in the 915 case from comments in the documentation :).

In this case, we're performing basically a dma_sync*(...DMA_TO_DEVICE)
right? Can we be sure that a single flush is sufficient? Is there any
window between when we flush and when we start accessing memory with
the device that we could get into more caching trouble?

> Unfortuantely the 965 BIOS doesn't set this stuff up properly and it
> doesn't use a standard BAR address, so I have to do it by hand, I'd
> appreciate any commentary particularly in the setting up of the
> resource stuff.

Looks reasonable, I'm not sure we can do much better. The only concern
I have is that allocating some more PCI space like that may end up
clobbering some *other* hidden BIOS mapping, but there's not a whole
lot we can do about that.

Jesse