Re: [kvm-devel] 2.6.23.1-rt4 and kvm 48

From: Carsten Emde
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 04:55:50 EST

Avi Kivity wrote:
David Brown wrote:
I thought I'd try out the realtime patch set and it didn't work at all
with kvm. The console didn't dump anything and the system completely
locked up.
Up to now, the unmodified kvm module never worked with any RT kernel. This would only change, if RT patched kernels were routinely used in the kvm release tests which is, for the time being, not the case.

However, tglx once provided a hand-crafted kvm version that can be used together with a selected RT kernel -> see "Latest Stable" (http://www.osadl.org/Latest-Stable.latest-stable-realtime-kernel.0.html) realtime kernel. It is based on kernel 2.6.21.6-rt21 and kvm-28.

We used these modules to carry out a number of "proof of concept" tests which were very successful. The realtime capabilities of the host system remained unchanged irrespective of whether the kvm guest system (no graphics) was running or not. This was even the case while the guest system was booting.

We are planning to provide another "Latest Stable" realtime kernel within the next month or so. It will probably be based on kernel 2.6.23.

--cbe