Re: is the inode an orphan?

From: Jan Kara
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 10:10:21 EST

> Al Viro wrote:
> >Define orphan. It might very well be still opened after the only link
> >to it had been removed and you still will get IO on it.
>
> Well, in the mail I called files like open/unlink the last link/do some I/O
> orphans. Let me shortly describe the problem I'm trying to solve.
>
> In our FS when we're in ->unlink() and i_nlink becomes 0, we have to record
> this inode in the table of orphans, and remove it from there in
> ->delete_inode(). This is needed to be able to dispose of orphans in case
> of an unclean reboot on the next mount. AFAIK, ext3 has something similar.
> I just figured that this could be optimized - in most cases
> ->delete_inode() is called right after ->unlink(), and I wanted to avoid
> putting the inode to the orphan table in those cases.
Yes, ext3 has something similar. But actually ext3 would have to insert
inode in the orphan list anyway - in delete_inode we do truncate and
for it we also insert the inode into the orphan list because truncate
can be too large to fit into a single transaction.

> I.e., if one just does "unlink file", then it is not going to be an orphan.
> And most cases are like this. It is rather rare to open a file, unlink it,
> and keep utilizing it.
>
> So my question was - while I'm in ->unlink(), how do I figure out that this
> is not an orphan. So I was thinking about
>
> if (atomic_read(&inode->i_count) == 2)
>
> then this is not an orphan and ->delete_inode() will be called straight
> away (i_nlink is assumed to be 0).
>
> But I've now also figured that ->unlink() may race with write-back, and
> there might be a write-back I/O between ->unlink() (and during it) and
> ->delete_inode(), even though the user-space does not have the file in
> question opened.
>
> So, at the moment, AFAIU
>
> if (atomic_read(&inode->i_count) == 2 && !(inode->i_state & I_DIRTY))
>
> then there won't be any I/O on the inode between ->unlink() and
> ->delete_inode i_nlink is assumed to be 0). Is that right, safe and
> acceptable to use such checks in ->unlink() for optimization?
>
> P.S. the code and short description of the FS I refer is here:
> http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html
Hmm, I'm just not sure whether unlink cannot somehow race with open
(at least I don't see any lock that would prevent open while unlink is
in progress)...

Honza