Re: pci-disable-decode-of-io-memory-during-bar-sizing.patch

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 20:02:25 EST

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> it's per device so that if you have have no users for this stuff,
> you'll never ever get bitten by bugs (be it linux or the bios).

Exactly. It's not that we care about trying to protect a system that
really needs to use MMCFG - once you really *really* need it, you're
screwed if it doesn't work.

But currently 99% of all systems will never need it, and for the broken
platforms, that's a nice round 100%. So if we make code not use MMCFG by
default, and you have to enable it for just those device drivers that
really want it and care, you automatically avoid all the broken hardware,
with no real downsides.

Linus