[possibly OT] for_each_netdev() in 2.6.23-gitX / 2.6.24-rc1-gitY breaks Cisco VPN client

From: Alessandro Suardi
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 20:36:07 EST

It's been a while I noticed, but I thought someone would as usual
cook up some fix, while I don't even see the issue been reported...
if this isn't a Linux kernel/net issue just drop my email, thanks.

Error message during cisco_vpn.ko build:

/download/linux/net/vpnclient/interceptor.c:345:23: error: macro
"for_each_netdev" requires 2 arguments, but only 1 given

seems like for_each_netdev() now also uses init_net. If there is
an alternative and somebody could point me to that, it'd be great,
as understanding the issue is well out of my grasp.

Patching up the vpnclient source to use init_net gets me to depmod
complaining it's not allowed to use a GPL-only symbol (init_net)
in a proprietary module. If this is meant to be - fine, and apologies
for the waste of bandwidth; but if this is simply an unwanted side
effect of the recent changes, perhaps it's a good idea to have it
at least reported.

--alessandro

"you feel the sweet breath of time
it's whispering, its truth not mine"