Re: 32bit builds on x86-64 host.

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 05:40:29 EST

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 08:57:39AM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 06:00:01PM -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> > Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > > Which seems rather unnatural to me. All other merge architectures have
> > > ARCH=<archdir> where archdir is the name under arch, e.g. mips, powerpc,
> > > s390. They then have a CONFIG_FOO_64 and set the utsname and -m32/-m64
> > > respectively. It would be nice if x86 could behave like all other
> > > architectures in this respect. Especially as the behaviour of the other
> > > architectures is a lot more intuitive.
> > >

> > Yes, that would be nice. I keep forgetting the ARCH= in my crossbuild
> > trees, and end up with strange mismashes.
>
> That's a problem with all architectures currently. But I think Sam has
> a patch that at least stores ARCH when using objdir != srcdir builds.
kbuild check's the asm symlink and error out if it is wrong.
So forgetting ARCH should be captured. But the check does not
store ARCH which is what I hope to have fixed for next merge window.

So for now if you forget ARCH you should be warned.
And in the future kbuild will remember what ARCH (and CROSS_COMPILE)
you used when configuring the kernel.

For x86 the current check does not help use because the asm symlink
is the same for i386 and x86_64 - so for now we are out of luck.

Sam