Re: [build bug, 2.6.24-rc1] CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=m & CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7146_VV=y

From: Trent Piepho
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 08:11:56 EST

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> the attached config (generated via make randconfig) fails to build due
> to the combination of these config entries:
>
> CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=m
> CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7146_VV=y
>
> i found no obvious Kconfig way to force VIDEO_SAA7146_VV to be modular
> when VIDEO_DEV is modular - is there a good solution for this?

I guess you didn't like my reply to your first message about this?

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/7/145

kbuild support for modules used as libraries is really poor. The only way
to do is use select on the library module, and then have all the
dependencies of the selectee be included in the selector, which must be
done recursively so that any modules selected by the selectee have their
dependencies added to the selector.