Re: 2.6.34-rc1 eat my photo SD card :-(

From: Pierre Ossman
Date: Fri Nov 02 2007 - 13:30:23 EST

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:56:42 +0100
Romano Giannetti <romanol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a very possible regression to signal. This morning 2.6.24-rc1
> eat and destroyed my SD card. I have a toshiba laptop with a card slot
> and I have used it with 2.6.23-rcX and 2.6.23 without problems so far.
> This morning I put the card in, nothing happened, removed it. When I put
> it in again the filesystem in it was completely scr***ed up.

Data loss is never fun. I hope you didn't have anything important on the card.

> I have a flight waiting now, so I have put all the dmesgs and syslogs
> over there:
>
> http://www.dea.icai.upcomillas.es/romano/linux/info/2624-rc1-mmc/

I'm afraid the logs are of little help. They are just filled with noise from the file system. You also seem to prove the FAT code to give an invalid pointer (the oops in the first dmesg).

Can you reproduce this? To help you I need to see the errors given by the MMC layer. You should also try reproducing it without a tainted kernel (i.e. don't load ndiswrapper).

Rgds
--
-- Pierre Ossman

Linux kernel, MMC maintainer http://www.kernel.org