Re: 2.6.24-rc1 - Regularly getting processes stuck in D state onstartup

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Tue Nov 06 2007 - 01:46:41 EST

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:23:07 +0000 David <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been testing rc1 for a week or so, and about 25% of the time I'm
> seeing Firefox and Thunderbird getting stuck in 'D' state as they startup.
>
> I've attached the output of Sysrq-T to this mail... system is a
> dual-core AMD64, and files are on a RAID-1 root partition connected two
> SATA disks on the on-board NVidia controller. I've had no problems
> before .24 rc1

I am seeing something very similar on a PowerPC machine where copying a
file from an LVM volume with ext3 on it to a simple scsi partition (again
ext3) on the same disk will hang in congestion_wait. If I am patient
enough, the copy makes very slow progress. A kill -9 will kill it
eventually, but a simple control-C will not.

This hang occurs more often than not (and usually when I am trying to
install a new kernel into /boot for testing :-)).

I don't have access to the machine today, but if more information would
be useful, I could boot into 2.6.24-rc1-<mumble> again tomorrow.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx