Re: compat_sys_times() bogus until jiffies >= 0.

From: Paul Mackerras
Date: Thu Nov 08 2007 - 00:36:26 EST

Andrew Morton writes:

> Yup. But userspace will already have a fit if either the start or end time
> advanced into the glibc-thought-that-was-an-error range.

Not nearly as much of a fit. The effect on x86 is that values between
-4095 and -1 are reported as -1, so the end-start difference will be
out by less than 41 seconds. That's not nearly as dramatic as a
difference of 21 million seconds (over 16 years). :)

I really think that wrapping at 0x7fffffff makes the situation worse,
not better.

Paul.