Re: Some interesting observations when trying to optimize vmstathandling

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Thu Nov 08 2007 - 18:45:40 EST

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > There is an interrupt enable overhead of 48 cycles that would be good to
> > be able to eliminate (Kernel code usually moves counter increments into
> > a neighboring interrupt disable section so that __ function can be used).
>
> Replace the push flags ; popf with test $IFMASK,flags ; jz 1f; sti ; 1:
> That will likely make it much faster (but also bigger)

Well maybe we should change local_irq_save/restore in general?

The result would be:

if (!in_interrupt())
local_irq_disable()

<critical section>

if (!in_interrupt())
local_irq_enable();

Somehow we need to remember that we disabled interrupts.

Then it get more complicated.

int interrupts_disabled = 0;

if (!in_interrupt()) {
local_irq_disable():
interrrupts_disabled = 1;
}

<critical section>

if (interrupts_disabled)
local_irq_enable();

Not sure that this actually better.

> The only problem is that there might be some code who relies on
> restore_flags() restoring other flags that IF, but at least for interrupts
> and local_irq_save/restore it should be fine to change.

The statistics code surely does not rely on that.