Re: PCI card initialisation at boot

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sun Nov 11 2007 - 11:11:35 EST

"Keith Chew" <keith.chew@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> My question is: Will setting the BIOS to "Resource allocation by
> Manual" prevent the crash from happening in the future? More
> specifically, does Linux still depend on ESCD even if the resource
> allocation is set to Manual?

Linux does not directly use the ESCD, but it uses configuration coming
from the BIOS (like PCI bridge setup or ACPI resources) that might
depend on the ESCD depending on your BIOS implementation.

You would probably need to ask someone familiar with your BIOS what
the ESCD influences in your configuration and what Manual allocation
changes exactly.

Most likely the real fix would be to add a checksum to it, but
only the BIOS can do that.

-Andi