Re: [patch 5/8] Immediate Values - x86 Optimization (update)

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Nov 13 2007 - 17:39:05 EST

Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:

Andi seemed to trust gas stability and you answered:

"The comment was referring to x86-64, but I incorrectly remembered that applying to "movq $imm,%reg" as opposed to loading from an absolute address. gas actually has a special opcode (movabs) for the 64-bit version of the latter variant, which is only available with %rax and its subregisters.

Nevermind, in other words. It's still true, though, that the immediate will always be the last thing in the instruction -- that's a fixture of the instruction format."

So, in the end, is there a way to make x86_64 use a fixed-size opcode
for the 1, 2, 4 and 8 bytes load immediates or we will have to force the
use of a specific register ?

(and we can't take a pointer from the end of the instruction, because we
need to align the immediate value correctly)

For a 64-bit load, you'll always have a REX prefix. For 8-, 16- and 32-bit load, the length of the instruction will depend on the register chosen, unless you constrain to either all legacy or all upper registers, or you force gas to generate a prefix, but I don't think there is a way to do that that will work with assemblers all the way back to 2.12, which is at least what we officially support (I have no idea if assemblers that far back actually *work*, mind you.)

-hpa