Re: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Nov 15 2007 - 00:54:00 EST

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> So even at 100% dirty limits, it won't let you dirty more than 1GB on the
> default 32-bit setup.

Side note: all of these are obviously still just heuristics. If you really
*do* run on a 32-bit kernel, and you want to have the pain, I'm sure you
can just disable the dirty limits with a one-liner kernel mod. And if it's
useful enough, we can certainly expose flags like that.. Not that I expect
that much anybody else will ever care, but it's not like it's wrong to
expose the silly heuristics the kernel has to users that have very
specific loads.

That said, I still do hope you aren't actually using HIGHMEM64G. I was
really hoping that the people who had enough moolah to buy >4GB of RAM had
long since also upgraded to a 64-bit machine ;)

Linus