Re: 2.6.24-rc2-mm1

From: Matthew Dharm
Date: Thu Nov 15 2007 - 12:17:14 EST

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 10:23:09AM +0100, Gabriel C wrote:
> Matthew Dharm wrote:
> >> There is the dmesg with CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG :
> >>
> >> http://194.231.229.228/dmesg-2.6.24-rc2-mm1
> >
> > Good news: This isn't the bug Greg was worried about.
> >
> > Bad news: Something is seriously strange here. Note the following from the
> > logs:
> >
> > Nov 14 06:07:43 lara [ 41.890614] usb-storage: Bulk Status S 0x53425355 T 0xd R 0 Stat 0x0
> > Nov 14 06:07:43 lara [ 41.890616] usb-storage: -- unexpectedly short transfer
> >
> > Note the 'R' value of zero -- this is the residue value. It indicates a
> > complete transfer, and that matches the log lines immediately previous
> > which indicate a 4K transfer which completed properly.
> >
> > If residue is zero, then srb->resid should be zero. Take a look in
> > linux/usb/storage/transport.c in usb_stor_Bulk_transport()
> >
> > If srb->resid is zero, then you should NEVER get the "unexpectedly short
> > transfer" message. Look at usb_stor_invoke_transport() in the same file.
>
> That code got replaced recently but I have no idea about it.
>
> ( http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jejb/scsi-misc-2.6.git;a=shortlog see the patches from Boaz Harrosh)
>
> srb->resid got replaced by scsi_get_resid() it I see that right.
>
> I'm CC'ing the author , he will know I think.

The replacement looks, to my eye, to be logically correct. The patch was
pretty clean.

Then again, I haven't looked at what is "under the hood" of the accessor
functions. Perhaps there is a side-effect somewhere in there?

Perhaps a quick debugging test -- print the value of scsi_get_resid(srb)
just after it's initialized to zero at the top of
usb_stor_invoke_transport(), and then just after the call to
us->transport().

The first print should show a value of zero. The debug log says that the
transport should have left it as zero. If it's actually coming back from
us->transport() as a non-zero value, then we'll need to check all the
modifications to usb_stor_Bulk_transport to see where srb->resid is being
changed.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx