Re: Treat disk space like memory space

From: Wes Felter
Date: Thu Nov 15 2007 - 19:04:01 EST

Stefan Monnier wrote:

So I'd like to be able to say "these areas of my file-system hold data
that you can discard whenever you need space". So I can freely fill up
my disk with such irrelevant data, safe in the knowledge that if I ever
need this disk space it'll be automatically reclaimed.

James Cipar, Mark D. Corner, Emery D. Berger: TFS: A Transparent File System for Contributory Storage.

"TFS provides background tasks with large amounts of unreliable storage-all of the currently available space-without impacting the performance of ordinary file access operations."

http://www.usenix.org/event/fast07/tech/cipar.html
http://prisms.cs.umass.edu/tcsm/

It's intended for P2P but I could imagine using it for caches.