Re: [patch] Printk kernel version in WARN_ON

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Sat Nov 17 2007 - 14:26:34 EST

On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 10:15:52AM -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today, all oopses contain a version number of the kernel, which is nice
> because the people who actually do bother to read the oops get this
> vital bit of information always without having to ask the reporter in
> another round trip.
>
> However, WARN_ON() right now lacks this information; the patch below
> adds this. This information is essential for getting people to use
> their time effectively when looking at these things; in addition, it's
> essential for tools that try to collect statistics about defects.
>
> Please consider, maybe even for 2.6.24 since its so simple and
> important for long term quality

With this change we will see zillions of files being rebuild each
time we pick up another kernel version from git and friends.

For me it looks like this right now:
#define UTS_RELEASE "2.6.24-rc2-g99fee6d7-dirty"

committing my local changes made it look like:
#define UTS_RELEASE "2.6.24-rc2-g99fee6d7"

The above change will trigger a rebuild of all files
that reference UTS_RELEASE as will all WARN_ON users.

And this is with the default configuration.

So if we want this then we want to push that change to a
seperate function so we rebuild less files for simple changes.

Sam