Re: Possibility to adjust the only-root-can-bind-to-port-under-1024limit

From: AstralStorm
Date: Tue Nov 20 2007 - 14:23:25 EST

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:09:35 +0100
Mikael StÃldal <mikael.staldal@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> > The proper way to enable port <= 1024 binding support is adding CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE
> > to the process capability set, e.g. by using file-system capabilities.
>
> Is file-system capabilites part of the stable official Linux kernel? From which version?
> How do I use it?

They were recently added in 2.6.24-rc1.
(mostly commit b53767719b6cd8789392ea3e7e2eb7b8906898f0)
The patch should be easy to backport, I've seen it in various
distro kernels.

According to the commit, documentation is at
http://www.friedhoff.org/fscaps.html

Some programs already have capability support - they
drop all permissions they don't need.