Re: Is it possible to give the user the option to cancel forkbombs?

From: David Newall
Date: Thu Nov 22 2007 - 07:03:28 EST

(``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
I used to see stuff like this happening on my University students test servers. Once they started doing forks inside for(;;), the server would go down.
Then they replaced the servers by vwmare machines, and now reboots are faster.

UNIX (and Linux) already has a feature for use in case of forkbombs, namely keeping a shell available, at a high priority, from which you manage a wide range of undesired situations. There isn't, that I know of, any program which responds to a magic key and does the work, but I think it can be written without requiring any additional kernel support.