Question regarding naming scheme (HP Jornada 6XX/7XX)

From: Kristoffer Ericson
Date: Sun Nov 25 2007 - 18:03:42 EST

Greetings,

Just want some input before I start dropping patches everywhere. A simple ack will do nicely if you just agree.

Currently we use the name of the most typical HP Jornada (680 and 720) to mean all 6XX/7XX (= 620/660/680/690 and 720/720/728).
In the past this has led to some confusion when people tried to compile their own kernels.
For instance an hp 620 user thought that their system was unsupported because everything was for '680'. Or the other way round
728 users didn't want to use 720 since they thought they would loose their extra ram (only difference between versions).

So, I want to instead use the term 600-series or 700-series. This would mean changing Kconfig/Makefile and driver name.

For example /drivers/input/keyboard/jornada680_kbd.c would become /drivers/input/keyboard/jornada600_kbd.c

The machine name tag would also return (HP Jornada 600-series | HP Jornada 700-series) since I know for instance opie loves to
grep the machine line. Currently this is set as "hp6xx" for 600-series and "HP Jornada 720" for 700-series. They are related machines so
it would be nice to unify their output a tad.

Why I want to use 600-series/700-series instead of 6XX/7XX is simply because 600-series/700-series leaves no doubt.

Any objections?

Best wishes
Kristoffer Ericson