Re: [2.6 patch] make I/O schedulers non-modular

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sun Nov 25 2007 - 18:29:36 EST

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 17:56:54 +0100
Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is there any technical reason why we need 4 different schedulers at
> all?

there is at least one technical reason to need more than one: certain
types of storage (both big EMC boxes as well as solid state disks)
don't behave like disks and have no seek penalty; any cpu time spent on
avoiding seeks is wasted on those, so for these devices one really
wants to use a different IO scheduler, one which is much lighter weight