Re: freeze vs freezer

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 15:34:32 EST

On Nov 27, 2007, at 12:40:24, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 of November 2007, Matthew Garrett wrote:
On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 10:53:34PM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On Monday, 26 of November 2007, David Chinner wrote:
So how do you handle threads that are blocked on I/O or a lock during the system freeze process, then?

We wait until they can continue.

So if I have a process blocked on an unavilable NFS mount, I can't
suspend?

That's correct, you can't.

[And I know what you're going to say. ;-)]

Why exactly does suspend/hibernation depend on "TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE" instead of a zero preempt_count()? Really what we should do is just iterate over all of the actual physical devices and tell each one "Block new IO requests preemptably, finish pending DMA, put the hardware in low-power mode, and prepare for suspend/hibernate". As long as each driver knows how to do those simple things we can have an entirely consistent kernel image for both suspend and for hibernation.

When all tasks are preemptable we can very trivially rely on the drivers to enforce the "Stop new IO submission" with a dirt-simple semaphore or waitqueue. The sleep itself will be TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE, but it will be done from a preemptible context.

That way the system suspend time is the sum of the suspend times of the devices on the system, and the suspend time of any given device is the sum of its maximum non-preemptible critical section and the time to flush all of its remaining pending DMA/etc. This is almost completely independent of the load-level of the machine, and it does not depend on things like NFS filesystems. The one gotcha is that it does not flush dirty filesystem pages to disk first, although that could be fixed with a few VFS and blockdev hooks which hierarchically flush and "freeze" block devices and filesystems before actually disabling devices much the way that device-mapper can pause a device to take a snapshot and end up with a clean journal on the filesystem afterwards.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett