Re: git guidance

From: Haavard Skinnemoen
Date: Wed Nov 28 2007 - 18:23:08 EST

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 00:20:46 +0100 (CET)
Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Nov 27 2007 23:33, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> >
> >It didn't work too well. The first result was one of maximal
> >embarrassment: I produced a patch that didn't even compile when
> >applied to the official tree. This shouldn't happen with git, right?
> >Well, it did. So now I'm back to keeping a virgin kernel source tree
> >alongside my development area in order to produce diffs. That can't
> >be right?
> >
> No, it can't. Use stgit/quilt ;p

No, use "git rebase --interactive" ;-)

I've tried stgit/guilt/quilt as well, but I could never quite get the
hang of it (adding the files _before_ editing is the difficult part.) On
the other hand, git rebase --interactive fit right into my workflow and
improved it massively.

But I guess it's all a matter of personal preference.

Haavard