Re: [patch 05/14] percpu: Use a Kconfig variable to configure archspecific percpu setup

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Wed Nov 28 2007 - 20:48:42 EST

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

> Don't think it matters either way. Before percpu is allocated, NUMA
> issues don't matter. Once they are - by whatever mechanism - you can
> set the segment bases up appropriately. The fact that you chose to put
> percpu data at address X doesn't affect the percpu mechanism one way or
> the other.

The percpu areas need to be allocated in a NUMA aware fashion. Otherwise
you use distant memory for the most performance sensitive areas. The NUMA
subsystem must be so far up that these allocations can be performed in the
right way. And this means at least you need to know on which node each
processor is located. That is what the PDA is currently used for and i386
has no other way of doing that. I think we could use an array [NR_CPUS]
for this one but we want to avoid these arrays because NR_CPUS may get
very big.