Re: scheduling anomaly on uml (was: -rt doesn't compile for UML)

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Nov 29 2007 - 06:50:39 EST

* Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > how come UML idled for 30 msecs here, while the workload was
> > supposed to be CPU-bound? It's not IO bound anywhere, right? No SMP
> > artifacts either, right?
>
> Yes. The UML kernel is UP, and I don't think 'date' or 'bash' want to
> do any disk I/O.
>
> Could disk I/O be blocking the tty? I think UML uses separate threads
> for these, but I don't know the details.

even if the workload is fully CPU bound externally - internally a
request to the external (CPU-bound) thread will look like an asynchonous
request - so small amounts of idle time can be within UML, legitimately.
(for the amount of time it takes for the external thread to service the
request)

30 msecs already sounds a bit excessive (this is on your T60 with
Core2Duo, right?), and 1-2 seconds noticeable latency is definitely
excessive.

Ingo