Re: [feature] automatically detect hung TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE tasks

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Dec 02 2007 - 17:21:18 EST

* Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Until now users had little direct recourse to get such problems
> > fixed. (we had sysrq-t, but that included no real metric of how long
> > a task was
>
> Actually task delay accounting can measure this now. iirc someone had
> a latencytop based on it already.

Delay accounting (or the /proc/<PID>/sched fields that i added recently)
only get updated once a task has finished its unreasonably long delay
and has scheduled. So lockups or extremely long delays _wont be
detected_ this way. This is a debugging facility that clearly belongs
into the kernel. Your arguments just make no objective sense.

Ingo