Re: sched_yield: delete sysctl_sched_compat_yield

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Dec 03 2007 - 17:06:34 EST

* Mark Lord <lkml@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Ack. And what of the suggestion to try to ensure that a yielding task
> simply not end up as the very next one chosen to run? Maybe by
> swapping it with another (adjacent?) task in the tree if it comes out
> on top again?

we did that too for quite some time in CFS - it was found to be "not
agressive enough" by some folks and "too agressive" by others. Then when
people started bickering over this we added these two simple corner
cases - switchable via a flag. (minimum agression and maximum agression)

> (I really don't know the proper terminology to use here, but hopefully
> Ingo can translate that).

the terminology you used is perfectly fine.

> Thanks Ingo -- I *really* like this scheduler!

heh, thanks :) For which workload does it make the biggest difference
for you? (and compared to what other scheduler you used before? 2.6.22?)

Ingo