Re: 2.6.23.9: x86_64: floppy not working: p35 chipset

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Fri Dec 07 2007 - 13:06:52 EST

Justin Piszcz wrote:

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Bill Davidsen wrote:

Justin Piszcz wrote:
Trying to format a floppy (2-3 of them) on a GA-P35-DS4 2.0 with a regular Sony floppy on Debian x86_64 with kernel 2.6.23.9:

# fdformat /dev/fd0
Could not determine current format type: No such device
# mformat a:
mformat: Could not get geometry of device (No such device)
#

# cat /proc/interrupts |grep floppy
6: 38 37 39 41 IO-APIC-edge floppy

# dmesg|grep -A1 fd0
[ 52.689487] Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
[ 52.704661] FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077

During the 'attempted format'

I've tried a few different floppies, the result is the same. The system is 64-bit only, no 32-bit emulation is enabled using a strict 64-bit-only userland. Has anyone else gotten their floppy drive to work under 64-bit?

Is this just a case of a DOA floppy drive or is something else wrong?

Maybe booting from a 32 bit live CD would help determine that. It certainly was seen at boot time. Didn't get hooked to some SCSI device name by udev, did it?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>

Retried with some other floppies and later tried the original, everything seems to be working now, must have been a bad floppy/some transient issue.

Great! I did test that FC8 with a Fedora kernel will see and use the floppy. Even found a floppy to use. Now I have to figure out why I have a floppy with a gzipped ext2 filesystem on it. :-(
Doesn't appear to be bootable, I thought it might be SYSLINUX for an old system which couldn't boot from CD or USB, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyway, glad the problem went away.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
"Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still