Re: Why does reading from /dev/urandom deplete entropy so much?

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Dec 11 2007 - 10:25:28 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:
On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 02:32:05PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Sounds like a local DoS attack point to me...

As long as /dev/random is readable for all users there's no reason to use /dev/urandom for a local DoS...

The original point was that urandom draws entropy from random, and that it is an an inobvious and unintentional drain on the entropy pool. At least that's how I read it. I certainly have programs which draw on urandom simply because it's a convenient source of meaningless data. I have several fewer since this discussion started, though, now that I have looked at the easy alternatives.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
"Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still