Re: [RFT] Port 0x80 I/O speed

From: David P. Reed
Date: Wed Dec 12 2007 - 13:54:57 EST

I have been having a fun time testing this on my AMD64x2 system.

Since out's to port 80 hang the system hard after a while, I can run a test just after booting, but the next run will typically hang it.

I did also test two ports thought to be unused. They do *not* hang the system. Thus apparently there is some device responding to port 80!

Running the (slightly modified to test 3 ports instead of just port 80) test when the CPU is running at 800 MHz, here's what I get for port 80 and port ec and port ef.

port 80: cycles: out 1430, in 792
port ef: cycles: out 1431, in 1378
port ec: cycles: out 1432, in 1372

[Note: port 80, when it doesn't hang, which is very often, responds to a read twice as fast as a port which is "not there". Typically though, the second time I run the test, the system freezes solid. Seems like evidence of a present device, not a missing one. Also, port 80 responds when booted with acpi=off, but never seems to hang - sounds like ACPI causes it to be active in some way]
----------------------------

System info: HP Pavilion dv9000z laptop (AMD64x2)

PCI bus controller is nVidia MCP51.
/proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 72
model name : AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 800.000
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy
bogomips : 1608.35
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

processor : 1
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 72
model name : AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 800.000
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0