Re: [kvm-devel] [RFC] Proposed new directory layout for kvm and virtualization

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Thu Dec 13 2007 - 03:34:03 EST

Arnd Bergmann wrote:
On Tuesday 11 December 2007, Avi Kivity wrote:
Heiko Carstens wrote:
On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 11:47:39AM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:

arch/*/kvm/ arch dependent kvm code
Maybe arch/*/virt/ ? No need to add an own directory for each hypervisor.

There will be several kvm files in that directory for x86. If you have just one file, I guess arch/*/virt/kvm.c is okay.

In that case, even arch/*/{mm,kernel}/kvm.c would work fine, as long as you
only want to support one hypervisor, or a small set of small files, there
is no need to have even have a virt directory.

However, if you want to have symmetry across the architectures, I think
arch/*/kvm/ works out best, along the lines of arch/*/{perfmon,crypto,xen,power}. Neither of these is particularly large,
but arch/* is typically not that crowded either.

In the case of x86, we'll have 16 arch dependent files (i8259.[ch], irq.[ch], lapic.c, mmu.c, paging_tmpl.[ch], svm.[ch], vmx.[ch], x86.[ch], x86_emulate.[ch]) which warrant a kvm/ subdirectory IMO.