Re: Possible issue with dangling PCI BARs

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Thu Dec 13 2007 - 04:29:58 EST

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 12:14 +0300, Ivan Kokshaysky wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 04:26:42PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > I can try to whip up some code tomorrow I suppose, though I'm always
> > afraid some dodgy x86 setup will blow up...
>
> That scares me too, but something like pci_dangling_bar(dev, idx) with
> a default (for now) no-op implementation in asm-generic/pci.h should
> be safe...

Well, the code that detects collisions and "unsets" a resource is arch
in the first place, and so is pcibios_enable_device().

So I'm going to do a powerpc implementation & test it a bit with what I
have around, and then do an x86 since with my latest (pending for .25)
patches. powerpc PCI code is -very- similar to x86.

Cheers,
Ben.