Re: Possible issue with dangling PCI BARs

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Thu Dec 13 2007 - 15:10:48 EST

On Thursday, December 13, 2007 3:20 Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > > Supporting pci_enable_device_io / pci_enable_device_mmio /
> > > pci_iomap_io / pci_iomap_mmio seems to cover pretty much all the
> > > use cases we have.
> > >
> > > The users we have right now that are:
> > >
> > > - pata_cs5520 (can be dealt with easily)
> > > - old IDE (with the new resource handling for
> > > legacy IDE can use pci_enable_device_io I think, ditto
> > > pci/cs5520)
> > > - scx200_acb (looks like a simple substitution works)
> > > - lpfc pci_enable_device_mmio
> > > - qla2xxx pci_enable_device ? (enables IO and MMIO)
>
> I may have not fully undestood you in my previous reply. You are
> proposing replacing pci_enable_device_bars() with a pair of
> pci_enable_device_io/mem ?
>
> I think that would be a good idea indeed.

Yeah, that seems like a reasonable compromise. Though in practice I'd
expect the full disable decode approach to work fairly well too. I
mean, if we really end up failing to allocate space for the device with
the root drive on it, there are probably bigger issues than just
failing to get a few bytes of I/O space for it...

OTOH like Robert said, many devices really only need either MMIO or IO
space enabled, not both, so having separate enable/disable routines for
them makes a lot of sense.

Jesse