Re: [patch 1/2] Linux Kernel Markers - Support Multiple Probes

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Mon Dec 17 2007 - 12:40:42 EST

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 02:45:06PM -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * Andrew Morton (akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > > They make sure the teardown of the callbacks can be done correctly when
> > > they are in modules and they insure RCU read coherency. Will add
> > > comment.
> >
> > So shouldn't it be using rcu_read_lock()? If that does not suit, should we
> > be adding new rcu primitives rather than open-coding and adding dependencies?
>
> Hrm, yes, good point. Since there seems to be extra magic under
> __acquire(RCU); and rcu_read_acquire();, the the fact that I use
> rcu_barrier() for synchronization, we should. I'll change it.

(Sorry to show up so late... It has been a bit crazy of late...)

The __acquire(RCU) and rcu_read_acquire() are strictly for the benefit
of sparse -- they allow it to detect mismatched rcu_read_lock() and
rcu_read_unlock() pairs. (Restricted to a single function, but so
it goes.)

I don't claim to fully understand this code, so may be way off base.
However, it looks like you are relying on stop_machine(), which in
turn interacts with preempt_disable(), but -not- necessarily with
rcu_read_lock(). Now, your rcu_barrier() call -does- interact with
rcu_read_lock() correctly, but either you need the preempt_disable()s
to interact correctly with stop_machine(), or you need to update the
comments calling out dependency on stop_machine().

Or it might be that the RCU API needs a bit of expanding. For example,
if you absolutely must use call_rcu(), and you also must absolutely
rely on stop_machine(), this might indicate that we need to add a
call_rcu_sched() as an asynchronous counterpart to synchronize_sched().
This would also require an rcu_sched_barrier() as well, to allow safe
unloading of modules using call_rcu_sched().

Or am I missing something?

Thanx, Paul