Re: swapping in 2.6.24-rc5-git3

From: Lukas Hejtmanek
Date: Tue Dec 18 2007 - 05:59:29 EST

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 06:15:32PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
> I think yes. 0 swappiness doesn't mean "no swapping at all". From the
> code in shrink_active_list() it seems that it just decreases likeliness
> of removing pages of mmaped files (i.e., also executables loaded in memory).

So, I tried to add some prints.

I have mapped ratio about 78 while scp-ing the file. Distress suddenly raises
from 0 to 100. At this poing, all the processes are swapped out.

I guess it happens if scp is faster than the local disk which happens if
I scp-ing over GE from desktop (with fast disk - and reading) to laptop (slow
disk - and writing).

This is my settings.
/proc/sys/vm/*
block_dump:0