Re: Out of memory and no killable processes: 2.6.22-2-686-bigmem

From: Parag Warudkar
Date: Wed Dec 19 2007 - 03:57:15 EST

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Nico Schottelius wrote:

If you're running tons of memory, it
really is better to run a 64-bit kernel if possible.

Sure? Afaik that results in a bit slower access to memory and appart
from being able to address MUCH more memory doesn't change the
situation.

No, generally 64-bit x86 does not slow down things - it might speed things up a bit due to more accessible registers in 64-bit mode. And it does change the situation from VM PoV a lot. In (bearded) God's own words - "... run a 64bit kernel and then the kernel isn't trying the software equivalent of managing a filing cabinet through the keyhole."

You will find this recent thread on same topic useful - http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/12/17/7 .

Perhaps I missed something.

And updating to 64 Bit kernel also implies changing the userland, so
a reinstall would be necessary, wouldn't it?

May not be necessary - I recently tried installing Fedora 8 32-bit/PAE on a 8Gb Core 2 box and then upgrading just the kernel to 64-bit and it worked fine except for the 32-bit iptables service having problems running on 64-bit kernel. [Also I hear the closed source nVidia binaries will not work on this setup - so if you don't need such things you will be able to go to a 64-bit kernel w/o reinstalling userspace.]

I believe there are
some cases where low memory can be pretty easily exhausted on machines with
lots of high memory.

Some minutes ago the third machine of that type freezed.
with 7 GiB of *free* memory, before getting oom+panic.

Is it possible to debug this issue somehow?

Like said in the above thread I referred to you might have better luck with RHEL/CentOS or other "Enterprise" kernels if you want to stick to 32-bit. But the pain is not worthwhile - give 64-bit kernel a shot.

HTH

Parag