Re: INITIO scsi driver fails to work properly

From: James Bottomley
Date: Thu Dec 20 2007 - 10:19:41 EST

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 01:32 -0800, Natalie Protasevich wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2007 9:05 AM, Matthew Wilcox <matthew@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 10:50:40AM -0600, James Bottomley wrote:
> > > So, to get the best of both worlds, file a bugzilla and note the bugid.
> > > Then email a complete report to the relevant list, but add [BUG <bugid>]
> > > to the subject line and cc bugme-daemon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx If you do
> > > this, bugzilla will keep track of the entire discussion as it progresses
> > > and allow those who track bugs through bugzilla to get a pretty accurate
> > > idea of the status. You should never need to touch bugzilla again once
> > > the initial bug report is filed: all future information flow is via the
> > > mailing lists.
> >
> > The problem is that it appears to the casual observer as if they can
> > then add information to the bug through the web interface. But that
> > information will never be forwarded to the mailing list. Unless there's
> > a way of marking bugs as 'unchangable through the web interface' or 'all
> > messages appended to this bug need to be forwarded', Bugzilla just
> > doesn't fit our needs.
> >
> > The Debian BTS fits our way of working much better. Perhaps somebody
> > should investigate a migration.
>
> This is excellent observation by Matthew and James. There is no magic
> in bugzilla not being loved, it is just "not the right set of features
> for effective work on a problem". It doesn't support multiple
> developer' collaboration well.
> This distaste is not universal, since some people don't have a problem
> with bugzilla as is, maybe those who tend to work on problems
> "alone"...
> But making it to be a workable tool for everyone is definitely worth it.
> Any other favorite bugzillas that are nice to work with and that have
> the advantage above?

We have actually been trying for over two years to get bugzilla fixed so
that it suits our email and list publishing workflow for fixing bugs. I
surmise that 90% of our problems with bugzilla could be solved if it
simply tipped a SCSI bug report onto the SCSI list when it was created
in such a way that all replies were gathered back into bugzilla.
Unfortunately, no-one who maintains our bugzilla has actually been able
to make this happen. The other 10% of the problem is that bugzilla
doesn't seem to have a way properly to integrate people who insist on
using its web interface to reply into the email flow.

James