Re: [RFC] USB Kconfig: Declutter USB Kconfig Menu

From: Al Boldi
Date: Sat Dec 22 2007 - 08:51:25 EST

David Brownell wrote:
> > > Which is why my suggestion was to have them both move up a level, with
> > > host and peripheral side menus nested normally:
> > >
> > > Device Drivers:
> > > [ ] HID devices
> > > < > Host side USB
> > > < > Peripheral side USB
> > > < > MMC/SD/SDIO card support
> > > [ ] LED support
> > >
> > > That way both host and peripheral side support would have their own
> > > menu, and that pointless nesting would be reduced.
> >
> > You mean:
> > [ ] Host side USB
> > [ ] Peripheral side USB
> >
> > Right?
>
> Both of those subsystems are already set up with the main choice
> as tristate "< >/<M>/<*>". If we're simplifying the navigation,
> I can't see a point to requiring *two* menu actions not one.

There is a point, but it's a weak one: you want it to unfold in the same menu
as you select the option. So, if you unfold the sub-options in a separate
sub-menu, you better use [ ] (or just blank), as this will allow you to
enter the sub-menu, and see the unfold take place inside the same menu.

IMHO, I prefer < >, but newbies probably prefer [ ], as it is less abstract.

Provided there is agreement, and we go with < >, it would mean a slight
change to Host side USB, like this (note new USB Core Config sub-menu):

--- Support for Host-side USB
[ ] USB Core Config --->
[ ] USB Host Controller Drivers --->
--- NOTE: USB_STORAGE needs SCSI, and 'SCSI disk support' may
--- also be needed; see USB_STORAGE Help for more information
< > USB Mass Storage support --->
[ ] The shared table of common (or usual) storage devices
[ ] USB Monitor
< > USS720 parport driver
< > USB Serial Converter support --->
< > USB DSL modem support --->