Re: [patch] Make MMCONFIG space (extended PCI config space) a driveropt-in issue

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Dec 22 2007 - 23:36:44 EST

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> My core assertion: the present situation -- turning off MMCONFIG aggressively
> -- is greatly preferable to adding pci_enable_mmconfig_accesses(pdev).

Well, you do realize that right now we have to have _users_ just doing
"pci=nommconf" on the kernel command line, because we apparently don't do
it aggressively enough?

The fact is, we simply don't know what the breakage is. The only safe
situation is to just assume things are broken, and enable it only when
necessary.

And if there isn't a driver that needs it, then it sure as *hell* isn't
necessary.

Linus