Re: [patch] Make MMCONFIG space (extended PCI config space) a driveropt-in issue

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun Dec 23 2007 - 00:22:59 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007, Jeff Garzik wrote:
And yes, if you want the capability following to notice automatically when
capabilities really do go into the 0x100+ range, that's fine. I suspect
Yes, we /must/ do this checking, if we don't already.

Hell no. If the user asked for mmconfig to be disabled, it needs to be disabled, because it may well be broken and non-working. It's better to not see some capabilities than to lock up the machine.

I think my short response created confusion. I was only saying that we should check for capability overruns, if we don't already[1].

I wasn't saying anything about mmconfig in that sentence, sorry.

Let's pop this sub-thread off the stack, and jump to your "Sounds like a plan?" train of thought.

Jeff

[1] Lioc's response seems to imply my worry about overruns is unfounded.