Re: Updated Kernel Hacker's guide to git

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Sun Dec 23 2007 - 15:14:37 EST

Dieter Ries wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day schrieb:
>> when i got started with git, what i really wanted
>> was a list of what i (as a simple, non-developer user) could do once i
>> cloned a repository.
>>
>> to that end, i put together my own little reference list of git
>> commands. for example, i collected ways to examine my repository --
>> git commands like branch, tag, log/shortlog, what-changed, show, grep,
>> blame, that sort of thing. exactly the kind of stuff a new user might
>> want to know about, even without the ability to change anything.
>
> Could you perhaps publish your reference list as kind of a christmas
> gift to all basic users like me?

Here are three out of four things which I do frequently with git repos:
I look at

- commits and blobs in other people's trees with gitweb,

- commits in a local tree with gitk,

- specific changes to source code with qgit, using it as "git blame"
GUI.

(The fourth thing is feeding a driver subsystem git tree at kernel.org
using a minimum number of git commands. Everything else which I do with
git I do so infrequently that I have to reread manuals all the time.)
--
Stefan Richter