vfs_rmdir "bug"?

From: Erez Zadok
Date: Sun Dec 23 2007 - 15:24:05 EST

Al, Christoph,

vfs_rmdir is called from do_rmdir and does essentially this:

dentry_unhash(dentry);
error = dir->i_op->rmdir(dir, dentry);
if (!error)
d_delete(dentry);
dput(dentry);

do_rmdir grabs a ref on the dentry to be rmdir'ed, and also dput's it (so
it's nice and symmetric). But vfs_rmdir seems asymmetric esp. when ->rmdir
returns and error (e.g., -ENOTEMPTY):

1. on error, the dentry will remain unhashed: shouldn't it be re-hashed (the
way vfs_rename_dir does)?

2. vfs_rmdir unconditionally dput's the dentry, but it never grabbed that
ref in the first place. Is this really necessary. We had a good dentry
in the dcache before the call to rmdir(2), but after this unconditional
dput(), it'll be removed from the dcache. This would cause the vfs to
have to re-issue a lookup on it next time someone tries to do anything
with that directory.

I discovered this while trying to figure out why an expected-to-fail rmdir
on unionfs (one of the ltp tests tests for -ENOTEMPTY) left a lower inode
behind until umount(2) was called. I fixed it by implementing
unionfs_d_iput, but still, it seems odd that we'll have dropped/unhashed a
possibly good dentry b/c ->rmdir failed.

Thanks,
Erez.