Re: [patch] Make MMCONFIG space (extended PCI config space) a driveropt-in issue

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Dec 24 2007 - 02:31:43 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
(For example: I have three machines that I know have working MMCONF. On only one of theose does Linux actually even enable MMCONF accesses, because on the two other ones the BIOSes do the crazy "put it in some space that is reserved by PnP crap later", so we actually refuse to touch it. So at least in my limited environment, we hardly get any MMCONFIG test coverage, exactly because we have to be so totally anal about not enabling it early, because we cannot guarantee that it's not clashing with anything else).

Definitely. So, two questions:

What's the preferred way to deal with the desire to view extended config space with "lspci -vvvxxx"?

Right now, we enable mmconfig for the bus/domain range requested by the BIOS [heh, so by implication many early BIOSen stomp themselves].

Is there a path for hw vendors, after passing 1,001 anal checks, to maintain the current behavior as it exists today in arch/x86/pci/mmconfig_{32,64}.c?

Jeff