Re: [patch] Make MMCONFIG space (extended PCI config space) a driveropt-in issue

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Dec 24 2007 - 06:54:48 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
I can see the point of having a sysfs attribute to enable MMCONF from userspace, so
that userland diagnostics tools can turn it on if they really really want to.
(I'd make that printk a nice warning "application XYZ is enabling extended config space for devize ABC" so
that if the box then crashes and burns, people know who/why and where to direct their emails ;-)

We did something similar for "enable", it's maybe 10 lines of code or so.

I would assume lspci and friends would then only turn that on at explicit admin request

Absolutely... I'm not asking to default it on, just asking for it to be possible :)

Jeff