Re: [x86] is checkpatch.pl broken

From: Cyrill Gorcunov
Date: Wed Dec 26 2007 - 05:38:37 EST

On Dec 26, 2007 2:48 AM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > by doing cleanup of arch/x86/boot/*.[ch] i found that
> > checkpatch does ignore obvious things. For example,
> > run it over edd.c showed only one warning:
> >
> > BTW, is there someone who is already involved in a such
> > cleanup to eliminate double effort?
> >

> BTW, it's more than a wee bit rude of you to Cc: a bunch of people but
> not the listed maintainer of the piece of code you're claiming to be
> cleaning up.
>
> -hpa

It's a quite true, sorry for this and thanks for the note. And Peter,
the line I marked
is not to be splitted even having additional spaces over math operators. Look

orig:
mbr_base = (buf_base+sector_size-1) & ~(sector_size-1);
new (could be):
mbr_base = (buf_base + sector_size - 1) & ~(sector_size - 1);

Is a new version that bad?
Anyway, as only I've something really done, i'll send it to the list
so you/mainteiner could choose which version is to be in kernel ;)