Re: [RFC] sleepy linux

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Wed Dec 26 2007 - 15:33:30 EST

On Wed 2007-12-26 21:23:37, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 26. Dezember 2007 21:17:22 schrieb Pavel Machek:

> > > IMHO you are making to many special cases. The system can be "sleepy"
> > > if all devices can be runtime suspended and all CPUs are idle.
> >
> > Is there an easy way to tell if all the devices are runtime suspended?
>
> Do you really want to know whether they are suspended or whether they
> could be suspended?

If they are suspended.

My plan is: let the drivers autosuspend on their own. If I see all of
them are autosuspended, then it looks like great time to put whole
system into s2ram...

> > I guess I need to know from atomic context :-(.
>
> Urgh. suspend() must be able to sleep and can fail.

That's ok.

... I also don't need to call any suspend() routines, because all the
drivers are already suspended, right?

And yes, I want device activity to prevent s2ram. If user is burning
CD, machine should not sleep. If user is actively typing, machine
should not sleep. My vision is: screen saver tells kernel keyboard
need not be very responsive, at that point keyboard driver can
autosuspend the keyboard, and if that was the last device, whole
system sleeps.
Pavel