Re: [Patch v2] Make PCI extended config space (MMCONFIG) a driveropt-in

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Thu Dec 27 2007 - 13:02:54 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
2) [non-minor] hmmmm.

[jgarzik@core ~]$ lspci -n | wc -l
23

So I would have to perform 23 sysfs twiddles, before I could obtain a full and unabridged 'lspci -vvvxxx'?

not you as human, but "lspci" ought to yes.

For the userspace interface, the most-often-used knob for diagnostic purposes will be the easiest one. And that's

the easiest one is an option to lspci. Nothing more nothing less.

Making a global knob in kernel space is a lot more tricky, and in addition
really there's enough cases where userspace wants the one device anyway
Doing the "for each device I'm about to dump" in lspci is pretty much as hard as doing
the global one (if not simpler)

So then if you have a system where MMCONFIG doesn't work and you're not using any devices that require extended config space, then doing lspci -vvvxxx will blow up the machine? Yuck.

Still don't like this approach. It seems like (partially) covering up problems rather than solving them.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx