allmodconfig: udev won`t start due to CONFIG_UNIX=m

From: devzero
Date: Sun Dec 30 2007 - 15:11:49 EST

Hi !

i build a kernel with allmodconfig and didn`t get my system to boot with that.

after some investigation i found that it was due to udev:

udevd[1226]: init_udev_socket: error getting socket: Address family not supported by protocol

this was missing support UNIX DOMAIN SOCKETS at boot time.
easy - so i added unix.ko to my initrd.

but that didn`t make a difference. Still same error with udev.

seems, there are others who stepped into this trap and someone telling, unix domain sockets cannot be modular
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-476363-highlight-.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-463793-highlight-.html

since we have 1206 options set to "Y" anyway, would it make sense to remove module support for Unix Domain Sockets ?
opensuse103:/home/kernel/linux-2.6.23 # cat .config.allmodconfig |grep "=y" |wc -l
1206
opensuse103:/home/kernel/linux-2.6.23 # cat .config.allmodconfig |grep "=m" |wc -l
2098

i also came across this one:

http://readlist.com/lists/vger.kernel.org/linux-kernel/41/205717.html